– I got my first nice sunburn on the trail a few days ago. I was crossing over balds instead of hiking under massive trees and rhododendrons. I was caught unprepared, without sunscreen. My nose was nice and shiny. 🙂
– Coming out of Erwin there were a lot of people that got sick. They are calling it the Erwin plague. Even the elementary school was shut down for a day because of it. Luckily I have stayed healthy. I even finished a 2 serving meal while people were talking about the symptoms of diarrhea and vomiting. I have a stomach of STEEL!
– I have been missing having a church service. I tried going in Newland, but all the services started at 11am. I didn’t want to get that late of a start. I ended up doing 19 miles with starting at 10am. I’ve tried to do more devotions myself since then. Maybe I can get to a church service in Damascus.
– I’ve started meeting up with people again that I started with. There is a group from New Hampshire and some others. I am meeting lots of new people as well because my miles are a lot larger than they were at the beginning.
– I went to Laurel Falls, it was amazing! I would upload a picture, but I can’t upload anything here at the hostel. I guess there was a hiker that proposed to his girlfriend there a couple days ago. Very cool.
– I stayed at the Black Bear Resort. Bob is one of the owners and he actually has been to Saskatchewan and knows South Dakota and even knows where Freeman is. Crazy these connections. This resort is actually only $10 for the bunk house. As in most hostels laundry is extra, but the showers are included. It was nice to be under a roof for the rain that happened. There is lots of rain on the trail, but it’s nice to have the option to not have to be in it every once in a while.
– Trail Days in Damascus is coming up starting on the 18th. This is a huge deal for hikers and most people are either slowing down or speeding up to get to the start of Trail Days. I am thinking of hiking past Damascus and then coming back for that Saturday. It will be a pretty big party atmosphere and I am not sure I want to be there for very long. The next time I can post I will talk about the actual trail days and hopefully have some pictures.